Date: Thursday, September 21, 2023
Time: 10:30 am
Location: Washington County Expo Center, Barn #1
Purpose of Champion Drive: Special Edition
The purpose of the Champion Drive: Special Edition is to provide special needs youth in Washington County the opportunity to participate first-hand, in a livestock show experience. Special needs youth will participate in a traditional multi species show. Species will be identified by Champion Drive: Special Edition Committee Members and will be based on the needs of youth participating in the event. Each youth will be assigned a “buddy.” Buddies will assist youth with the exhibition of the livestock projects. Each participant in the show will receive a special award and a photo with their buddy.
What is a Buddy?
“Buddy System” – Youth will be selected as a “buddy” by committee members, County Extension Agents and Agricultural Education Teachers. Those selected will attend a mandatory meeting prior to the fair to go over roles and responsibilities when working with youth with special needs. During this time youth will be informed of do’s and don’ts when working with special needs youth and remind them to be encouraging and make it fun for them.
Requirements for Submission/Acceptance
- All youth must be an active 4-H or FFA member in Washington County (Brenham or Burton).
- Youth must be in the 7th grade or older to participate.
- All youth must in good academic standing (passing or as specified by school).
- All youth must completely fill out application and have submitted no later than June 30, 2023.
- All youth must have parental consent.
- All youth must attend a mandatory meeting prior to fair if selected. This date will be announced after candidates are selected.
- All youth must be available Thursday, September 21, 2023 from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Washington County Expo Center.